Women Struggle in Parliament
Interview with Fatemeh Haghighatjoo
- What role have women played in Iran's parliament since the 1979 revolution?
- Why did conservative women dominate the recent parliaments?
- What type of women--political affiliation, religious background, social class--generally run as candidates?
- Gohar Dastgheib (daughter of Grand Ayatollah Dastgheib)
- Ategheh Rajai (wife of former President MohammadAli Rajai)
- Faezeh Hashemi (daughter of former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani)
- Azam Taleghani (daughter of Ayatollah Mahmoud Taleghani)
- Jamileh Kadivar (wife of former minister Ata’ollah Mohajerani and sister of Mohsen Kadivar)
- Fatemeh Karoubi (wife of former speaker of Majles and opposition leader Mehdi Karoubi).
- Which women tend to get more votes?
- Why has the number of female parliamentarians decreased since 2004?
- What positions do female parliamentarians generally hold on issues affecting women—such as on divorce or controversial family laws?
The controversial family protection bill (that would allow men to marry additional women without the consent of their first wife, among other issues) introduced to the seventh parliament actually came from the government--the judiciary and the president's office.
The Islamists Are Coming
The Islamists Are Coming, edited by Robin Wright, surveys the rise of Islamist groups in the wake of the Arab Spring. Often lumped together, the more than 50 Islamist parties with millions of followers now constitute a whole new spectrum—separate from either militants or secular parties. They will shape the new order in the world’s most volatile region more than any other political bloc. Yet they have diverse goals and different constituencies. Sometimes they are even rivals.
New Articles Archive
Robin Wright's blog
Articles By Author
Recent New Articles Posts
06/18/2013 - 09:59
06/17/2013 - 11:31
06/17/2013 - 11:30
06/15/2013 - 21:34
06/15/2013 - 21:08
06/15/2013 - 20:40
06/15/2013 - 20:39
06/15/2013 - 19:50
06/15/2013 - 19:47
06/14/2013 - 09:04
06/13/2013 - 11:01
06/12/2013 - 16:34
06/11/2013 - 12:34
06/11/2013 - 10:19
06/11/2013 - 10:04